My main research interests focus on social pain, or the hurtful feelings caused by social exclusion, ostracism, humiliation, rejection, betrayal, and so on. In particular, I examine the impact of experiencing short and long term episodes of social pain on human basic needs satisfaction, affect, and antisocial behavior. In a related vein, I am interested in comparing social and physical pain, investigating similarities and differences in their antecedents, moderators, and psychological consequences. I also investigate the factors that affect the perceived credibility of patient’s pain in healthcare settings.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Self and Identity
- Riva, P., Williams, K.D., & Gallucci, M. (in press). The Relationship between Fear of Social and Physical Threat and their Effects on Social Distress and Physical Pain Perception. PAIN.
- Gabbiadini, A., Riva, P., Andrighetto, L., Volpato, C., & Bushman, B.J. (in press). Interactive Effect of Moral Disengagement and Violent Video Games on Self-control, Cheating and Aggression. Social Psychological and Personality Science.
- Riva, P., Williams, K.D., Torstrick, A., & Montali, L. (in press). Orders to Shoot (a camera): Effects of Ostracism on Obedience. The Journal of Social Psychology.
- Sacchi, S., Riva, P., & Brambilla, M. (2013). When Mother Earth Rises Up: Nature Anthropomorphization Reduces Support for Natural Disaster Victims. Social Psychology, 44, 271-277.
- Brambilla, M., Riva, P., & Rule, N. (2013). Familiarity Increases the Accuracy of Categorizing Male Sexual Orientation. Personality and Individual Differences, 55, 193-195.
- Riva, P. & Andrighetto, L. (2012). “Everybody Feels a Broken Bone, But Only We Can Feel a Broken Heart”: Group Membership Influences the Perception of Targets’ Suffering”. European Journal of Social Psychology, 42, 801-806.
- Riva, P., Romero Lauro, L. J., DeWall, C. N., & Bushman, B. J. (2012). Buffer the Pain Away: Stimulating the Right Ventrolateral Prefrontal Cortex Reduces Pain Following Social Exclusion. Psychological Science, 23, 1473 - 1475.
- Riva, P., Rusconi, P., Montali, L., & Cherubini, P. (2011). The influence of anchoring on pain judgment. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 42, 265-277.
- Riva, P., Wirth, J., & Williams, K. D. (2011). The consequences of pain: The social and physical pain overlap on psychological responses. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 681-687.
- Riva, P., Sacchi, S., Montali, L., & Frigerio, A. (2011). Gender effects in pain detection: Speed and accuracy in decoding female and male pain expressions. European Journal of Pain, 15, 985.e1-985.e11.
- Rusconi, P., Riva, P., Montali, L., & Cherubini, P. (2010). Taking into account the observers’ uncertainty: A graduated approach to the credibility of the patient’s pain evaluation. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 33, 60-71.
- Research Methods of Textual and Linguistic Analysis
- Social Psychology
Building U6, Room 3122
Piazza dell'Ateneo Nuovo 1